Mayor of Lausanne since 1957 and member of the Swiss National Council since 1958, he was elected to the Swiss Federal Council on 5 December 1973 and handed over office on 31 December 1983. He was affiliated to the Free Democratic Party. During his office time he held the following departments:
He was President of the Confederation in 1980.
After retiring from the Federal Council, he presided the foundation of the Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (1988–1992).
- Aspects de l'agriculture vaudoise à la fin de l'Ancien Régime: La terre, le blé, les charges; F. Rouge, Lausanne; (1949) -- thesis
- The challenge of neutrality: Diplomacy and the defense of Switzerland; Lexington books, Lanham (translated from Le défi de la neutralité, 2001) ISBN 0-7391-0274-5
- Histoire générale, de 1789 à nos jours; Payot, Lausanne (1st ed., 1957)
- Alain Clavien: Georges-André Chevallaz in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Profile of Georges-André Chevallaz with election results on the website of the Swiss Federal Council.