This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Free Society Conference and Nordic Summit (FSCONS) is a Nordic conference trying to bridge the gap between software and cultural freedom held each autumn in Gothenburg, Sweden. It shares many similarities with FOSDEM (Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting) in the way in which the event is structured, but where the latter attracts speakers and visitors primarily interested in Free software, FSCONS aims to attract a more diverse crowd. The conference was organised 2007-2011 by FFKP, the Society for Free Culture and Software. In 2012, a new member run association was formed to take over the organisation of conference.
The event was first organised by members of the Free Software Foundation Europe, in particular its Swedish team and the then current intern in their Gothenburg office. It was organised the 7–8 December 2007 and attracted about 80 visitors. Some of the speakers were Jonas Öberg, Mats Östling, Lars Aronsson and Georg C. F. Greve.
Through the years 2008-2011, the conference was organised once a year, always in October or November. In 2008, the FSFE was joined by Wikimedia Sverige and Creative Commons Sweden as co-organisers of the event.
Notable speakers over the years include Richard Stallman, Smári McCarthy, Oscar Swartz, Dr. Ansgar Bernardi, Christina Haralanova, Amelia Andersdotter, Marcin Jakubowski, Erik Zachte, Edmund Harriss, Karin Kosina, Henri Bergius, Glyn Moody, Erik de Bruijn, and, Alessandro Rubini, to mention a few.
In 2012 the member-run association Föreningen FSCONS was formed to take over the organisation of the conference from FFKP. The conference has continued to be held in November each year.
Nordic Free Software Award
FSFE and is presenting the winner of the yearly Nordic Free Software Award, given to the person/project that have made a contribution to the advancement of Free Software in the Nordic countries. The jury consists of member from FSFE and Föreningen fri kultur och programvara (Free Culture and Software) and members from the free software community.
- 2007 : Skolelinux
- 2008 : Mats Östling
- 2009 : Simon Josefsson & Daniel Stenberg
- 2010 : Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
- 2011 : Erik H. Josefsson
- 2012 : Otto Kekäläinen and Ole Tange
- "Next step – FSCONS is now a true grassroots conference | Föreningen fri kultur och programvara". Ffkp.se. 2012-08-31. Archived from the original on 13 January 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- IDG.se article: http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.130680 (Swedish)
- FSCONS 2007 official site: http://fscons.org/2007/node/12
- LinuxWiki.org: http://linuxwiki.de/FSCONS2007
- Georg's about page at FSFE: http://fsfe.org/about/greve/
- Wikimedia Sverige webpage: http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:FSCONS_2008
- FSF.org: http://www.fsf.org/events/20111112-dialogue-gothenburg
- Smári's homepage: http://smarimccarthy.is/events/selected.html
- Oscar's homepage: http://swartz.typepad.com/texplorer/live-talare-panelist.html
- Christina's homepage: http://www.ludost.org/about
- Open dot dot dot: http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/11/tale-of-two-conferences.html
- "Föreningen fri kultur och programvara | Projekt inom fri kultur och programvara". Ffkp.se. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- Norwegian ComputerWorld
- FSFE: http://fsfe.org/news/2010/news-20101108-01.en.html
- FSFE: http://fsfe.org/news/2011/news-20111114-01.en.html
- "Finnish activist, Danish hacker share Nordic Free Software Award 2012 - FSFE".
- Official website fscons.org
- FSCONS conference blog
- Summaries of previous FSCONS conferences
- Press mentions
- "Frihetskämpar möts i Göteborg" (ComputerSweden - Swedish) 2011-11-11 17:00
- "Hallå Håkan Lidbo!" (GP - Swedish) 2011-11-11
- "Fri programvara en väg till arbetarmakt" (Fria tidningen - Swedish) 2010-11-11 10:05
- "När kommer öppen hårdvara?" (ComputerSweden - Swedish) 2010-11-17 16:06
- "Solidarisk programvara" (Fria tidningen - Swedish) 2011-05-04 08:00
- "Konferens som vidgar samtalet" (Fria tidningen - Swedish) 2011-05-18 08:00
- "Nördfeministisk kraftsamling" (Fria tidningen - Swedish) 2011-05-18 08:00
- "Das Openmoko-Projekt um die gleichnamige freie Handyplattform lädt im Rahmen der FSCONS in Göteborg, Schweden" (Linux Magazine - German) 2008-10-08
- (Miljömagasinet - Swedish) "De vill arbeta för fri programvara", 2010-06-24
- "Konferens om fri programvara" (Fria tidningen - Swedish) 2010
- "Teknikjournalisten och författaren Glyn Moody till Sverige" (Webfinanser - Swedish) 2010-10-19 13:51
- "Linux-Norge overhaler Danmark indenom" (Computerworld - Danish) 2007-12-12
- "Späckat schema på FSCONS i Göteborg" (ComputerWorld/LinuxWorld - Swedish) 2007-12-12
- "U-landsdatorn blev hans stora hobby" (ComputerSweden - Swedish) 2007-12-11
- "Skolelinux fikk pris for fri programvare" (Computerworld - Norwegian) 2007-12-10