|Location||53 State Street, Boston, Massachusetts|
|Roof||510 ft (160 m)|
|Floor area||1,121,599 sq ft (104,200.0 m2)|
|Design and construction|
Exchange Place is a modern skyscraper located at the block of 43–53 State Street or 1 Exchange Place, between Congress and Kilby Streets, in the Financial District of Boston, Massachusetts. Built in 1981–1985, it is tied for Boston's 17th tallest building, standing 510 feet (155 m) tall, and containing 40 floors. The glass tower portion rises out of a previous building, the 12-story Boston Stock Exchange, built in 1889–1891 and designed by Peabody and Stearns. The intent was to demolish the older building in order to construct the skyscraper, but preservationists succeeded in rescuing a portion of the Stock Exchange's facade.
Brookfield Office Properties, which had previously purchased the building from Harold Theran in 2006, sold Exchange Place to UBS Realty Investors LLC in 2011. It is home to the Boston Consulting Group, advertising agency Hill Holliday, marketing agency Optaros, software company Acquia, Hachette Book Group, the Macquarie Group, The Blackstone Group, and AllianceBernstein. In June 2017, The Boston Globe moved into Exchange Place from its longtime headquarters on Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester, Boston.
Accessibility and transportation
Close to the southwestern corner of the building near the junction of Congress Street with Exchange Place, the building sits directly atop the State Street MBTA station, featuring direct access to the Blue-Line Wonderland-bound platform and by extension the Orange Line.
- 4: North Station–Tide Street (Northbound only)
- 92: Sullivan Square station–Downtown via Main Street
- 93: Sullivan Square station–Downtown via Bunker Hill Street
- "Exchange Place". Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Southworth, Susan & Southworth, Michael (2008). AIA Guide to Boston (3rd ed.). Guilford, Connecticut: Globe Pequot Press. p. 124. ISBN 978-0-7627-4337-7.
- Douglas, Craig M. (February 28, 2011). "Exchange Place gets a valuation bump as cash flow strengthens". Boston Business Journal Real Estate Daily.
- Nolan, Anita (December 22, 2011) "Brookfield Sells Boston's 53 State St. for $610Mln " Commercial Real Estate
- Arsenault, Mark (June 21, 2017). "With an eye on the future, Globe returns to downtown Boston". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on December 22, 2017. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- Boston Landmarks Commission (1979). "The Exchange Building Study Report" (PDF).
- "City of Boston" (PDF). City of Boston. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Boston Urban Places Historical building review of Amalgamated Bank : Boston Offices @ 53 State Street, by City of Boston.
- Link, MBTA #4 bus schedule.
- Link, MBTA #92 bus schedule.
- Link, MBTA #93 bus schedule.