Emblem of West Bengal
|Emblem of West Bengal|
|Armiger||Government of West Bengal|
|Crest||Emblem of India|
|Blazon||Globe, Bengali characters (ব), map of West Bengal|
|Other elements||পশ্চিমবঙ্গ সরকার - Govt. of West Bengal|
The Emblem of West Bengal is the official seal of the government of the state of West Bengal, India.
The emblem consists of a circle depicting a globe with the state of West Bengal highlighted by a representation of the Bengali alphabet. The National Emblem of India appears above the globe and the emblem includes the name of the state in the English i.e. West Bengal and Bengali language i.e. Bengali: পশ্চিমবঙ্গ, romanized: Pôśchim Bôṅgô . The central element of the emblem was also used by the Biswa Bangla campaign to promote sale of traditional West Bengali handicrafts and textiles.
The current emblem was designed by Mamata Banerjee, the Chief Minister of the state and was officially adopted in January 2018. Prior to the adoption of the new emblem in 2018, the state government used the National Emblem of India for official purposes but had adopted a distinctive logo for marketing purposes. This logo, known as "Banglarmukh" (Face of Bengal), depicted a female face surround by a red veil.
Flag of the Bengal Presidency during British rule in India
Badge of the Bengal Presidency during British rule in India
Coat of Arms of the Nawab of Bengal (top) and that of the Nawab of Murshidabad (bottom)
Autonomous district councils in West Bengal
West Bengal has one autonomous district council, the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, which adopted its own emblem in October 2014. The emblem is a circular seal featuring a locomotive of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a woman picking tea leaves, a rhododendron flower and mountain peaks of the Himalayas surrounded by the name of the authority and two pairs of crossed Kukri daggers.[unreliable source]
The Government of West Bengal can be represented by a banner displaying the emblem of the state on a white field.
- ^ "Egiye Bangla". Archived from the original on 13 April 2018. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- ^ "Mamata unveils State logo with Biswa Bangla theme". 5 January 2018. Archived from the original on 7 November 2022. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- ^ "Mamata Banerjee". www.facebook.com. Archived from the original on 24 April 2023. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- ^ "Official Emblem for the State of West Bengal - WBXPress". 1 February 2018. Archived from the original on 24 April 2023. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- ^ "HDA". 17 April 2017. Archived from the original on 17 April 2017.
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/GorkhalandTerritorialAdministration/photos/a.102800121374266/102814918039453/ Archived 24 April 2023 at the Wayback Machine[user-generated source]
- ^ "The Darjeeling Chronicle on Facebook". Facebook. Archived from the original on 27 April 2022.[user-generated source]
- ^ "West Bengal State of India Flag Textile Cloth Fabric Waving on the Top Sunrise Mist Fog Stock Illustration - Illustration of graphic, ripple: 127909913". Archived from the original on 7 November 2022. Retrieved 18 March 2020.