|Duke of Anhalt|
|Reign||21 April 1918 – 13 September 1918|
|Born||18 April 1861|
|Died||13 September 1918 (aged 57)|
|Spouse||Princess Louise Charlotte of Saxe-Altenburg|
Joachim Ernst, Duke of Anhalt
|Father||Friedrich I, Duke of Anhalt|
|Mother||Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg|
Prince Eduard was born at Dessau, the capital of the Duchy of Anhalt, in 1861 as the third son of Duke Friedrich I of Anhalt (1831–1904) and his wife Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg (1838–1908). As Eduard's eldest brother, Leopold, died without male offspring in 1886, and the next brother, Frederick, had no issue, Eduard became heir presumptive and Hereditary Prince following the death of their father, Duke Friedrich I, in 1904.
Eduard succeeded his brother Duke Friedrich II of Anhalt on 21 April 1918, but his brief reign came to an end five months later with his own death on 13 September 1918. He was succeeded by his eldest surviving son Prince Joachim Ernst under the regency of Eduard's younger brother, Prince Aribert.
Marriage and children
Duke Eduard married Princess Louise Charlotte of Saxe-Altenburg (1873–1953) in Altenburg on 6 February 1895. She was a daughter of Prince Moritz of Saxe-Altenburg and his wife Princess Augusta of Saxe-Meiningen. They had six children before divorcing in 1918.
- Princess Friederike of Anhalt (1896-1896)
- Prince Leopold of Anhalt (1897–1898)
- Princess Marie-Auguste of Anhalt (1898–1983) married in 1916 Prince Joachim of Prussia
- Prince Joachim Ernst of Anhalt (1901–1947)
- Prince Eugen Friedrich Ernst August Heinrich Adolf Aribert of Anhalt (1903–1980) married Anastasia Jungmeier (b. 25 July 1901, Straubing – d. 20 February 1970, Vevey) on 2 October 1935. Claimed to be Joachim's immediate successor, considering his son's marriage a morganatic one.
- Princess Anastasia of Anhalt (b. 22 December 1940) married in 1962 Maria Emanuel, Margrave of Meissen
- Prince Wolfgang of Anhalt (b. 12 July 1912, Schloss Ballenstedt – d. 10 April 1936)
- Ralf Regener: Der Sturz der Askanier 1918 in Anhalt. Bedingungen, Verlauf und Nachwirkungen des Untergangs einer kleinstaatlichen deutschen Monarchie, Dessau-Roßlau 2013