|Prime Minister of Grenada|
|Assumed office |
24 June 2022
|Governor-General||Cécile La Grenade|
|Preceded by||Keith Mitchell|
|Leader of the National Democratic Congress|
|Assumed office |
31 October 2021
|Preceded by||Franka Bernardine|
|Member of Parliament for St. David|
|Assumed office |
23 June 2022
|Preceded by||Oliver Joseph|
|Born||disputed ]8 October 1978 [|
Saint David Parish, Grenada
|Political party||National Democratic Congress|
|Alma mater||Presentation Brothers College|
University of the West Indies
Dickon Amiss Thomas Mitchell is a Grenadian politician and attorney serving as the ninth prime minister of Grenada since 24 June 2022 and the leader of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) since 2021. He led his party to victory in the 2022 general election.
Early life and law career
Mitchell was born in Saint David, Grenada. He received an LLB (Hons) from the University of the West Indies at Cave Hill, and completed his Legal Education Certificate at Hugh Wooding Law School in 2002.
After graduation, he began as an Associate Attorney-at-Law at the firm Grant, Joseph & Co. He founded his own firm Mitchell & Co. in 2017.
Prime Minister of Grenada
National Democratic Congress won the 2022 general election with slightly over 51% of the popular vote and winning nine out of the fifteen available seats. Mitchell reacted to the election victory by announcing that he would ask the governor-general , Dame Cécile La Grenade, to declare 24 June a national public or bank holiday so that "citizens can celebrate the liberation day and the victory that they have created for Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique". On 24 June, Mitchell was sworn in as the ninth prime minister of Grenada, succeeding Keith Mitchell. He pledged to end nepotism in the Grenadian society and reform the electoral system. He took the additional portfolio of Minister of Finance of Grenada and created a new Ministry called the Ministry of Mobilization, Implementation and Transformation. During his speech at the swearing in of Ministers ceremony, he promised to pay teachers their withheld salaries.
- "NDC wins Grenada's General Election 2022". NOW Grenada. 24 June 2022. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "Grenada election 2022: 10 Things to know about Dickon Mitchell". Loop News. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "Live blog: Grenada votes election 2022". Loop News. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "Graduates 2002". Hugh Wooding Law School. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "Home - Grenada Elections 2022". elections2022.gd. Retrieved 10 July 2022.
- "PM-elect Dickon Mitchell to transform Grenada over next 15 years | Loop Caribbean News". Loop News. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "PM Gonsalves Congratulates Dickon Mitchell On Election Victory - St Vincent Times". 24 June 2022. Retrieved 24 June 2022.
- "Grenada's new Prime Minister sworn into office, urges unity". jamaica-gleaner.com. 24 June 2022. Retrieved 26 June 2022.
- "Dickon Mitchell sworn in as new Prime Minister of Grenada | Loop Caribbean News". Loop News. Retrieved 10 July 2022.
- "Grenada's new Prime Minister Dickon Mitchell sworn into office". CNW Network. 25 June 2022. Retrieved 25 June 2022.
- Government Information Service (GIS) (24 June 2022). "Swearing in of Prime Minister Designate Mr. Dickon Mitchell". Retrieved 18 July 2022.
- "Grenada: Mitchell sworn in as Opposition Leader | Loop Caribbean News". Loop News.
- Correspondent, WIC News (1 July 2022). "Grenada: PM Dickon Mitchell declares new cabinet, keeps ministry of finance, national security". WIC News. Retrieved 10 July 2022.