|Predecessor||The Intellectual Property and Science business of Thomson Reuters|
|Founded||October 3, 2016|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, United States |
London, United Kingdom
|Revenue||US$2.66 billion (2022)|
|–US$3.9 billion (2022)|
|–US$4.0 billion (2022)|
|Total assets||US$13.9 billion (2022)|
|Total equity||US$6.81 billion (2022)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Clarivate Plc is a British-American publicly traded analytics company that operates a collection of subscription-based services, in the areas of bibliometrics and scientometrics; business / market intelligence, and competitive profiling for pharmacy and biotech, patents, and regulatory compliance; trademark protection, and domain and brand protection. In the academy and the scientific community, Clarivate is known for being the company which calculates the impact factor, using data from its Web of Science product family, that also includes services/applications such as Publons, EndNote, EndNote Click, and ScholarOne. Its other product families are Cortellis, DRG, CPA Global, Derwent, MarkMonitor, CompuMark, and Darts-ip,  and also the various ProQuest products and services.
Clarivate was formed in 2016, following the acquisition of Thomson Reuters' Intellectual Property and Science Business by Onex Corporation and Baring Private Equity Asia. Clarivate has been growing fast by numerous acquisitions: in the 5 years since its incorporation Clarivate bought over a dozen companies in the information service industry (see below). Despite raising anti-monopoly concerns, in some cases Clarivate acquired companies that were direct competitors of each other. Perhaps the most notable example of this was the purchase of ProQuest for $5.3 billion in December 2021, that was a competitor of the Web of Science (owned by Clarivate since 2017).
Clarivate (formerly CPA Global) was formerly the Intellectual Property and Science division of Thomson Reuters. Before 2008, it was known as Thomson Scientific. In 2016, Thomson Reuters struck a $3.55 billion deal in which they spun it off as an independent company, and sold it to private-equity firms Onex Corporation and Baring Private Equity Asia.
Clarivate reported its gross profit margin as 64% (in 2019)  and its EBITDA profit margin as 45% (in 2021), which places it in the range of entertainment software and tobacco industries, and ahead of pharmaceutical, oil/gas and cell phone industries. Clarivate has been criticized for its anti-competitive practices in a highly oligopolistic academic database market, for increasing the prices of the products it acquired, for the lack of further development and integration of the acquired products, for not developing its own products, for outsourcing jobs from the US and UK to India, and for eliminating telephone support for many of the acquired products.
On July 11, 2022, Clarivate announced that Jerre Stead would retire from his role as Executive Chair and Chief Executive Officer to become Non-Executive Chair of the Board of Directors on September 1, 2022. Jonathan Gear, previously Chief Financial Officer of IHS Markit, joined Clarivate on July 11, 2022, as CEO-elect, and became Chief Executive Officer on September 1, 2022. 
On September 1, 2022, Clarivate announced that Jerre Stead would retire from the Board on October 20, 2022, at which date Andrew Snyder, CEO of Cambridge Information Group and Vice Chairman of Clarivate, becomes the new Chair effective from that date. The Board has appointed Mr. Stead as Chairman Emeritus upon his Board retirement.
- June 1, 2017: Publons, a platform for researchers to share recognition for peer review.
- April 10, 2018: Kopernio, AI-tech startup providing ability to search for full-text versions of selected scientific journal articles.
- October 30, 2018: TrademarkVision, provider of Artificial Intelligence (AI) trademark research applications.
- September 9, 2019: SequenceBase, provider of patent sequence information and search technology to the biotech, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- December 2, 2019: Darts-ip, provider of case law data and analytics for intellectual property (IP) professionals.
- January 17, 2020: Decision Resources Group (DRG), a leading healthcare research and consulting company, providing high-value healthcare industry analysis and insights.
- June 22, 2020: CustomersFirst Now, in intellectual property (“IP”) software and tech-enabled services.
- October 1, 2020: CPA Global, intellectual property (“IP”) software and tech-enabled services.
- December 1, 2021: ProQuest, software, data and analytics provider to academic, research and national institutions. It was acquired for $5.3 billion from Cambridge Information Group in what was described as a "huge deal in the library and information publishing world". The company said that the operational concept behind the acquisition was integrating ProQuest's products and applications with Web of Science. Chairman of ProQuest Andy Snyder became the vice chairman of Clarivate. The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, an advocacy group for open access to scholarship, voiced antitrust concerns. The acquisition had been delayed mid-year due to a Federal Trade Commission antitrust probe.
- November 2020: Clarivate sold its Techstreet division to a for-profit subsidiary of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- November 2022: Clarivate divested MarkMonitor to Newfold Digital. MarkMonitor registers the domains of Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Tencent, YouTube, Wikipedia, and eBay, among other companies. They provide domain management, brand protection, anti-piracy, and anti-fraud services.
Products and services
Web of Science
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE), previously entitled Science Citation Index, covers more than 9,200 journals across 178 scientific disciplines. Coverage is from 1900 to present day, with over 53 million records
- Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) covers more than 3,400 journals in the social sciences. Coverage is from 1900 to present, with over 9.3 million records
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (AHCI) covers more than 1,800 journals in the arts and humanities. Coverage is from 1975 to present, with over 4.9 million records
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) covers more than 7,800 journals in all disciplines. Coverage is from 2005 to present, with over 3 million records
- Book Citation Index (BCI) covers more than 116,000 editorially selected books. Coverage is from 2005 to present, with over 53.2 million records
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index (CPCI) covers more than 205,000 conference proceedings. Coverage is from 1990 to present, with over 70.1 million records
As Clarivate acquired ProQuest, various products of ProQuest are being operated under Clarivate, which encompasses products that ProQuest had taken on relatively recently, through acquisitions of its own—notably those of Innovative Interfaces: Vega, Sierra, Polaris, Millennium, and Virtua.
- Cortellis Regulatory Intelligence
- Cortellis Competitive Intelligence
- Cortellis Clinical Trials Intelligence
- Cortellis Deals Intelligence
- Cortellis Drug Discovery Intelligence
- Cortellis Digital Health Intelligence
- Cortellis Generics Intelligence (formerly Newport)
- Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) Intelligence
Other database products and services used for searching and analyzing patents; IP administration and prosecution support services to support the IP lifecycle include:
- Derwent Innovation
- Derwent SequenceBase
- Derwent Data Analyzer
Information services used by brand and trademark professionals to evaluate new potential trademarks and monitor existing trademarks for infringement, including:
- SAEGIS®, online trademark screening
- TM go365, self-service trademark research application
- Full Search, analyst driven trademark searching
- Watching, trademark protection
ScholarOne is a submission management system to allow an editor of an academic journal to manage electronic submission of authors' manuscripts for publication, to recruit reviewers of those manuscripts, to check authors' compliance with the journal's requirements, and to communicate with authors.
Annual lists and reports
Highly Cited Researchers
Clarivate publishes an annual Highly Cited Researchers list. The list compiles "the world's most influential researchers of the past decade, demonstrated by the production of multiple highly-cited papers that rank in the top 1% by citations for field and year in Web of Science." According to Clarivate, researchers are selected for their "exceptional performance" in one or more of 21 fields (those used in Clarivate Essential Science Indicators, or ESI) or across several fields. The 2019 list of Highly Cited Researchers was released on November 19, 2019.
Clarivate Citation Laureates
From 2002 to 2020, 59 individuals listed as Citation Laureates have received Nobel prizes.
Journal Citation Reports
Top 100 Global Innovators Report
The annual Top 100 Global Innovators report identifies the world's most innovative organizations. These businesses have successfully developed valuable patented inventions that also have strong commercialization potential based on market reach and impact on other downstream inventions. The 2020 Top 100 Global Innovators Report was released on February 19, 2020.
- List of academic databases and search engines
- Truven Health Analytics, another analytics company spun off from the Science and Healthcare unit of Thomson Reuters, later acquired by IBM
- RELX, a company that operates Scopus, which competes with WoS
- "Jonathan Gear Assumes Chief Executive Officer Role for Clarivate with Jerre Stead Retirement". September 2022. Retrieved September 5, 2022.
- "Clarivate 2022 Annual Report (Form 10-K)". U.S Securities and Exchange Commission. March 1, 2023.
- ""Clarivate Analytics: New Name, Established Products" by Ojala, Marydee – Online Searcher, Vol. 41, Issue 3, May–June 2017". Archived from the original on September 1, 2019.
- O'Grady, Cathleen (June 30, 2021). "Journal impact factor gets a sibling that adjusts for scientific field". Science. Retrieved December 5, 2021.
- "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science business by Onex and Baring Asia completed" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. October 3, 2016. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Mergers, acquisitions, and my tinfoil hat". August 16, 2021.
- "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science Business by Onex and Baring Asia Completed". Clarivate. October 3, 2016. Retrieved April 26, 2023.
- Grant, Bob (July 15, 2016). "Web of Science sold for more than $3 billion". The Scientist Magazine. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science business by Onex and Baring Asia completed" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. October 3, 2016. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- "Churchill Capital Corp Completes Merger with Clarivate Analytics Plc" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. October 3, 2016. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate Plc (CLVT)". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved November 16, 2021.
- "Clarivate Plc to Change NYSE Ticker Symbol to "CLVT" on February 1, 2021". Clarivate. January 20, 2021. Retrieved April 27, 2021.
- Else, Holly (March 24, 2022). "Ukrainian researchers pressure journals to boycott Russian authors". Nature. 603 (7902): 559. Bibcode:2022Natur.603..559E. doi:10.1038/d41586-022-00718-y. PMID 35288680. S2CID 247452826.
- ""Clarivate Income Statement"".
- "Clarivate to Acquire ProQuest". about.proquest.com.
- ""Margins by Sector (US)"". Archived from the original on January 27, 2022. Retrieved January 22, 2022.
- Pendlebury, David A. (2021). "1.3 Eugene Garfield and the Institute for Scientific Information". Handbook Bibliometrics. pp. 27–40. doi:10.1515/9783110646610-005. ISBN 978-3-11-064661-0. S2CID 235861751.
- Schnell, Joshua D. (2017). "Web of Science: The First Citation Index for Data Analytics and Scientometrics". Research Analytics. pp. 15–30. doi:10.1201/9781315155890-2. ISBN 978-1-315-15589-0.
- "Clarivate names IHS Market exec as new boss as CEO Jerre Stead retires". Retrieved September 5, 2022.
- "Clarivate Announces Retirement of Chief Executive Officer Jerre Stead and Appointment of Jonathan Gear as New CEO". July 11, 2022. Retrieved September 5, 2022.
- Page, Benedicte. "Clarivate Analytics buys Publons". The Bookseller. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate Analytics Acquires Research Startup Kopernio to Accelerate Pace of Scientific Innovation" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. April 10, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate Analytics to enhance AI-driven trademark research solutions with TrademarkVision acquisition" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. October 30, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate Analytics acquires the SequenceBase business to expand its search and analysis capabilities for the life sciences IP market" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. September 9, 2019. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate Analytics has Acquired Leading Provider of Intellectual Property Case Law and Analytics Darts-ip" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. December 2, 2019. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Clarivate to acquire Decision Resources Group". Clarivate Analytics. January 17, 2020. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "CustomersFirst Now, Now Part of Clarivate". CustomersFirst Now. June 22, 2020. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- "Clarivate Completes Acquisition of CPA Global to Form a Global Intellectual Property Powerhouse". Pr Newswire. October 1, 2020. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- Milliot, Jim (December 3, 2021). "Clarivate Completes ProQuest Acquisition". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved December 4, 2021.
- Milliot, Jim; Albanese, Andrew (May 17, 2021). "Clarivate to Buy ProQuest for $5.3 Billion". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved December 4, 2021.
- "Clarivate Successfully Completes Acquisition of ProQuest". December 2021. Retrieved December 1, 2021.
- "Clarivate Purchase of ProQuest Delayed". Retrieved August 16, 2021.
- "New For-Profit Subsidiary of ASME Acquires Techstreet Standards Management Business from Clarivate - ASME". Retrieved August 8, 2021.
- "Newfold Digital Completes Acquisition of MarkMonitor from Clarivate". www.newfold.com.
- "The History of ISI and the work of Eugene Garfield". Clarivate. Retrieved August 13, 2023.
- "Web of Science Databases". Clarivate. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Web of Science fact book" (PDF). Clarivate. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 11, 2018. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Science Citation Index Expanded". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Social Sciences Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Arts & Humanities Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Emerging Sources Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Book Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Conference Proceedings Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved January 26, 2022.
- "Clarivate set to acquire Ann Arbor's ProQuest in $5.3 billion deal" (Press release). Retrieved January 22, 2022.
- "Cortellis Life Science Intelligence Solutions".
- http://www.stn-international.com web site, STN International: Derwent World Patents Index Archived 2012-01-28 at the Wayback Machine
- clarivate.com web site, Clarivate Analytics: Derwent World Patents Index
- "Home". Derwent.
- "Trademark research and protection that inspires confidence". CompuMark.
- "ScholarOne". Clarivate. Clarivate. Retrieved February 13, 2023.
- "Highly Cited Researchers". publons.com.
- "Global Highly Cited Researchers 2019 list reveals top talent in the sciences and social sciences" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. November 19, 2019. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- Cressey, Daniel (September 22, 2010). "Nobel predictions proliferate". Nature News & Comment (News blog).
- "Twenty-one 'Thomson Reuters Citation Laureates' Recognized for Their Contributions to the Advancement of Science". PR Newswire. Philadelphia and London: PR Newswire Association LLC. 2010. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- Pendlebury, David (2011). "The Methodology Behind the Predictions" (Online access). Choosing Thomson Reuters Citation Laureates. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Clarivate Repeats Nobel Laureate Prediction Success: Five 'Citation Laureates' Awarded 2020 Nobel Honors for Physics, Chemistry and Economics" (Press release). Clarivate. PR Newswire. October 13, 2020. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- Ramakrishnan, RamaRavikumar. "LibGuides: Journal Citation Report : Getting Started: Home". libguides.ntu.edu.sg. Retrieved April 26, 2023.
- Garfield, Eugene (2007). "The evolution of the Science Citation Index" (PDF). International Microbiology. 10 (1): 65–69. doi:10.2436/20.1501.01.10. PMID 17407063.
- "Overview". Journal Citation Reports. Thomson Reuters. 2010. Archived from the original on June 25, 2010. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- "About Us". Thomson Reuters. 2010. Archived from the original on January 1, 2011. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Venkatraman, Archana (September 2009). "Journals cherish IF status symbol: but impact factor is not the only citation metric that matters". Information World Review: 7.
- Quaderi, Nandita (July 26, 2022). "Announcing changes to the 2023 Journal Citation Reports". Clarivate. Retrieved April 17, 2023.
- "New Clarivate Analytics Report Reveals Emergence of Market Disrupters is Fragmenting Global Patent Landscape, Diluting Leading Innovators' Invention Market Share" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. February 19, 2020. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- Business data for Clarivate: