|Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh|
|বাংলাদেশের প্রধান নির্বাচন কমিশনার|
|Residence||Minto Road, Dhaka|
|Nominator||Government of Bangladesh|
|Appointer||President of Bangladesh|
|Term length||5 Years|
|Inaugural holder||7 July 1972|
|Final holder||KM Nurul Huda|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of the|
People's Republic of Bangladesh
Appointment and removal
The appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh and other Election Commissioners (if any) is made by the President. Under the Constitution the term of office of any Election Commissioner is five years from the date on which he enters upon office. A person who has held office as Chief Election Commissioner is not eligible for appointment in the service of the Republic. Any other Election Commissioner is, on ceasing to hold such office, eligible for appointment as Chief Election Commissioner, but is not eligible for appointment in the service of the Republic.
Duties and functions
In addition to their duties and functions as an election commissioner, the chief election commissioner acts as chairperson of the commission.
List of Chief Election Commissioners of Bangladesh
The following have held the post of the Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh.
|Name||Years in Office|
|M. Idris||07-Jul-1972 to 07-Jul-1977|
|A. K. M. Nurul Islam||08-Jul-1977 to 17-Feb-1985|
|Chowdhury A. T. M. Masud||17-Feb-1985 to 17-Feb-1990|
|Sultan Hossain Khan||17-Feb-1990 to 24-Dec-1990|
|Md. Abdur Rouf||25-Dec-1990 to 18-Apr-1995|
|A. K. M. Sadeq||27-Apr-1995 to 06-Apr-1996|
|Mohammad Abu Hena||09-Apr-1996 to 08-May-2000|
|M. A. Sayed||23-May-2000 to 22-May-2005|
|M. A. Aziz||23-May-2005 to 21-Jan-2007|
|A. T. M. Shamsul Huda||05-Feb-2007 to 05-Feb-2012|
|Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad||09-Feb-2012 to 09-Feb-2017|
|KM Nurul Huda||15-Feb-2017 to 14-Feb-2022|
|Kazi Habibul Awal||27-Feb-2022 to Present|
- Election Commission of Bangladesh
- Election Commissioner of Bangladesh
- Elections in Bangladesh
- 2024 Bangladesh Election Commission
- "About EC". Election Commission Bangladesh. Archived from the original on 2016-01-11. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- Ehsan, Mohammad (2012). "Election Commission". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Tenure of Chief Election Commissioners". Election Commission Bangladesh. Archived from the original on 2016-03-02. Retrieved 2016-01-30.