|main topic||mass media|
|Universal Decimal||0 060|
The mass media are the entire array of the media specifically envisioned and designed to reach a large audience, like radio, television, magazines, newspapers and the World Wide Web. The term was coined in the 1920s with the advent of nationwide radio networks and mass-circulation newspapers and magazines.
The word "media" is widely used as a short-hand for "mass media". Although commonly misused as a singular term — erroneously implying that "the media" are a single, monolithic entity — "media" is the plural of "medium", and thus refers to the multiplicity of publications, broadcast outlets, etc.
In addition, "media" is often used interchangeably with "news media", disregarding the fundamental distinction between those two terms. The news media are those segments of the media which employ journalists to report and disseminate news; articles pertaining to that subject area are found in Category:News media.
Other forms and uses of media generally fall under the heading of entertainment media (with some media combining elements of both news and entertainment), along with advertising, public relations, and propaganda.
Individual creative works such as films, television programs, books, plays and so on should be categorized in the appropriate subcategories at Category:Creative works, not here.
This category has the following 47 subcategories, out of 47 total.
- Mass media franchises (12 C, 142 P)
- Categories by medium (42 C)
- Mass media by franchise (34 C, 66 P)
- Mass media by genre (7 C)
- Mass media by ideology (6 C)
- Mass media by interest (24 C)
- Mass media by language (145 C, 2 P)
- Mass media by location (6 C)
- Mass media by medium (9 C)
- Mass media by owner (7 C, 1 P)
- Mass media by period (13 C)
- Mass media by topic (22 C)
- Mass media by type (16 C, 1 P)
- Defunct mass media (6 C, 1 P)
- Arab mass media (20 C, 102 P)
- Broadcasting (35 C, 91 P)
- Mass media campaigns (6 C)
- Direct-to-video media (4 C, 1 P)
- Mass media freedom (7 C)
- History of mass media (17 C, 20 P)
- Mass media regulation (7 C, 27 P)
- Mass media technology (14 C, 45 P)
- Mass media stubs (9 C, 98 P)
Pages in category "Mass media"
The following 58 pages are in this category, out of 58 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).