This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Industry||Point of sale software|
|Sean Feeney (CEO)|
MORE, a loyalty and Prepaid Consumer Engagement system
Quickconnect Web Services
Number of employees
Cantaloupe, Inc., previously known as USA Technologies Inc., is an American company known for its work with ePort cashless acceptance technology running on its patented ePort Connect service, a PCI compliant, comprehensive suite of services designed for the self serve, unattended market. ePort Connect wirelessly facilitates electronic payment options to consumers (so that payment can be made with credit, debit, or NFC enabled electronic wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay) while providing operators with both telemetry and machine-to-machine (M2M) services. ePort technology is primarily found in vending machines, kiosks and point-of-sale (POS) terminals, but the ePort Online and ePort Mobile products have extended the network to accept recurring payments from a PC or retail outlets and the taxi industry through smartphone devices.
The company has also produced other technology in the unattended industry such as the More Prepaid and Loyalty consumer engage program, ePort beacon and the EnergyMiser, a device that reduces the energy consumption of vending machines, as well as facilitating Bluetooth payment options,
USA Technologies was founded in 1992 and holds more than 87 patents on its products and services. Its patents pertain to all aspects of its industry, ranging from payment processing, transaction methods, and terminal connection methods, to energy management and telematics. There are currently over 250,000 connections to its ePort Connect Service. The company was named in Deloitte L.L.P’s 2014 Technology Fast 500 List of the fastest-growing companies in North America. They worked with Setomatic Systems to be the first to bring NFC technology into the Self Service Laundry market  The Nilson Report ranked USA Technologies 6th in the US (and 28th Worldwide) in POS shipments  and they received the 2014 Frost and Sullivan North American Customer Value Leadership Award in Financial Services and Retail M2M Communications.
In 2010, a proxy fight for the company's board of directors took place with shareholder group SAVE Partners. This proxy fight ended with the addition of two SAVE Board candidates and modification of company policies. In 2012, there was another proxy fight involving SAVE, but this dispute resulted in no change to the board.
USA Technologies' CEO George Jensen was suspended 4 October 2011 after he was revealed to be posting company information to an investor board, and resigned two weeks later. Stephen Herbert was appointed as CEO and held that position until he stepped down in 2019, due to the "start of a proxy battle brought by its largest investor", Hudson Executive Capital.
USA Technologies announced its name change to Cantaloupe, Inc. on 19 April 2021.
USA Technologies' primary product is the ePort, a cashless payment terminal for vending machines, kiosks, and POS terminals. The ePort EDGE accepts magnetic swipe cards, and the ePort G8 & G9 series also accept contactless cards, FOB, PIN, and virtual wallets such as Apple Pay and Softcard. This particular technology features an inclusive system for providing remote audits, cashless payment, and interactive transaction capabilities in a vending machine. In 2010, the ePort EDGE won the National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA) award for innovation in cashless vending technology. NAMA is the vending industry's national body.
Specific to vending machines, USA Technologies holds over a dozen patents that tap into the $40 billion vending industry and have maintained partnerships with MasterCard Worldwide, Dr. Pepper/Seven Up, Kodak, ZiLOG, CineMachine, MEI, and Wurlitzer, among others.
The company has been ranked several times among the leading shippers of point-of-sale terminals by The Nilson Report, a source of news and research on consumer payment systems worldwide. In 2009, it ranked 6th in the US and 31st in the world. In 2013, the report ranked 6th in POS shipments in the United States and 28th in the world. USA Technologies announced its expansion initiatives in Australia in June 2018.
- ^ "Contact USA Technologies". USA Technologies. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- ^ a b "Cantaloupe Inc - Company Profile and News - Bloomberg Markets". www.bloomberg.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 21 May 2021.
- ^ "USA Technologies :: Energy Management". Usatech.com. Archived from the original on 2011-04-22. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Article: USA Technologies: EnergyMiser 'hot green' product as nation turns to... | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy". AccessMyLibrary. 2009-02-01. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "EnergyMiser for Vending Machines Cuts Energy Costs, CO2". GoodCleanTech. 2007-10-10. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "EnergyMiser, A 'Hot Green' Product As North America Turns To Intelligent Solutions To Conserve Energy | Electrical Line Magazine - Canada's Electrical Trade Publication". Electricalline.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "USA Technologies :: Company Overview". Usatech.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "USA Technologies Celebrates Cashless Adoption in Self-Serve Retail with a Milestone 250,000 Connections to its ePort Connect Service - Articles - Vending Times". www.vendingtimes.com.
- ^ Development, Deliotte. "Deloitte's 2014 Technology Fast 500 Powerful Connections" (PDF).
- ^ "USA Technologies Ranked On Deloitte's 2014 Technology Fast 500™". Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- ^ "USA Technologies, Setomatic Systems Bring NFC-Based Mobile Payment and Loyalty Program to Commercial Laundry Market". Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- ^ a b "The Nilson Report Ranks USA Technologies 6th in U.S. and 28th in Worldwide POS Terminal Shipments for 2013". Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- ^ "USA Technologies Receives Frost & Sullivan's 2014 North American Customer Value Leadership Award in Financial Services and Retail M2M Communications". Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- ^ Armstrong, Michael (23 May 2012). "USA Technologies faces second proxy fight in three years". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- ^ "USA Technologies and SAVE Announce Settlement of Proxy Contest". Bloomberg. 5 February 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- ^ Key, Peter (28 June 2012). "Shareholders group disputes USA Technologies' proxy victory". Philadelphia Business Journal. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- ^ Peter Key (14 October 2011), "USA Technologies suspends CEO over alleged Internet posts", Philadelphia Business Journal, biz journals.com, retrieved 18 February 2013
- ^ Booton, Jennifer (19 October 2011). "USA Technologies Says CEO Dismissed Over Online Posts". Fox Business. Archived from the original on 23 September 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- ^ Blumenthal, Jeff. "USA Technologies CEO resigns amid proxy fight".
- ^ "USA Technologies Officially Launches as Cantaloupe, Inc". www.businesswire.com. 2021-04-19. Retrieved 21 May 2021.
- ^ "StackPath". www.vendingmarketwatch.com. Retrieved 2022-03-25.
- ^ "USA Technologies :: ePort". Usatech.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "USAT Enhances ePort Connect, Launches Deployment Consulting Service | Articles | Vending Times Inc". Vendingtimes.net. 2009-04-22. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ Levere, Jane L. "USA Technologies Inc. News - The New York Times". Topics.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "USA Technologies launches ePort wireless test kit". Finextra.com. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Mastercard and USA Technologies bring contactless payment to Cadbury Schweppes vending machines". Finextra.com. 2006-12-21. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Vending Times Features USA Technologies and Pepi Food Services". TradingMarkets.com. 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2010-10-23.[permanent dead link]
- ^ "USA Technologies Awarded Key Vending Patent - SecureIDNews". SecureIDNews. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- ^ "NAMA Lauds Creativity With iSpot Awards For OneShow Exhibitors | Articles | Vending Features | Vending Times Inc". Vendingtimes.com. 2010-04-19. Archived from the original on 2010-04-25. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "ePort EDGE, Winner of the 2010 NAMA Innovation Award. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Smart Products | USA Technologies Selects Telit Wireless' Module For Vending Device". Smart-products.tmcnet.com. Archived from the original on 2010-04-03. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Coke Machines Go Cashless with MasterCard". Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- ^ "A vending machine that takes plastic: priceless". Daily News. 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- ^ Rao, Madanmohan; Mendoza, Lunita (2005). Asia Unplugged: The Wireless and Mobile Media Boom in the Asia-Pacific. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. p. 176. ISBN 0761932720.
- ^ "USA Technologies Improves Ranking as Leading Global Shipper of POS Terminals :: USA Technologies News". Usatech.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "Record Growth Ranks USA Technologies #6 in US, #26 Globally for POS Terminal Shipments in 2007 :: USA Technologies News". Usatech.com. 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- ^ "USA Technologies » In the News »" (PDF). www.usatech.com.
- ^ "ADVAM and USA Technologies Launch EMV Payment Solution for Australian Vending Market". Retrieved 2018-08-20.