|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
Astral Media (2000-2013)
Bell Media (2013-present)
CTV Life Channel
|Launched||September 8, 1997|
|Website||canalvie.com (in French)|
Canal Vie is a Canadian French language specialty channel owned by Bell Media. Canal Vie airs lifestyle and entertainment programs aimed at women in the form of talk shows, documentaries, reality TV series, and films. Programs focus on a variety of topics including home improvement, cooking, health, parenting, and relationships.
In September 1996, Radiomutuel inc. was granted approval for a television broadcasting licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for Le Canal Vie, described as "a national French-language specialty service that is dedicated to information and entertainment programs focused on three very specific subjects: lifestyle (human relations, social and interpersonal), health (physical and mental), and outdoor activities for families or individuals."
The channel launched on September 8, 1997 as Canal Vie.
On March 4, 2013, the Competition Bureau approved the takeover of Astral Media by Bell Media. Bell filed a new application for the proposed takeover with the CRTC on March 6, 2013; the CRTC approved the merger on June 27, 2013, and closed on July 5, 2013. As a result, Bell divested various sister channels to Canal Vie to other companies.
Canal Vie HD
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon - distributed on SPM Telecom systems.
Original logo of Canal Vie (1997–2005)
Second logo (2005–2008)
Logo used from 2008 to 2016
- Decision CRTC 96-613 CRTC 1996-09-04
- Astral bids on Radiomutuel Playback Magazine 1999-06-14
- Decision CRTC 2000-5 CRTC 2000-01-12
- BCE takeover of Astral OK’d by Competition Bureau Archived 2013-04-11 at archive.today, The Montreal Gazette (via The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- Astral and Bell Comment on New Acquisition Application to CRTC Archived 2015-10-02 at the Wayback Machine, Broadcaster Magazine, March 6, 2013.
- CRTC approves Bell-Astral merger, CBC News, June 27, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- La haute définition en français Archived 2012-04-01 at the Wayback Machine Infopresse 2006-10-30 (in French)
- Official website (in French)