Behind the Mask (1946 film)
|Behind The Mask|
|Directed by||Phil Karlson|
|Starring||Kane Richmond |
|Distributed by||Monogram Pictures|
Behind The Mask is a 1946 American comedy-mystery film directed by Phil Karlson and starring Kane Richmond and Barbara Read. It was the second in a series of three films released by Monogram in 1946 starring Richmond as the crimefighter The Shadow, the others being The Shadow Returns and The Missing Lady.
Lamont Cranston, alias The Shadow, has to clear his name of the murder of a blackmailing newspaper reporter by solving the crime himself.
- Kane Richmond as Lamont Cranston (The Shadow)
- Barbara Read as Margo Lane
- George Chandler as Shrevvie
- Dorothea Kent as Jennie Delaney
- Joseph Crehan as Police Inspector Cardonna
- Pierre Watkin as Police Commissioner Weston
- Robert Shayne as Brad Thomas
- June Clyde as Edith Merrill
- James Cardwell as Jeff Marin
- Marjorie Hoshelle as Mae Bishop
- Joyce Compton as Lulu
Film historian Larry Langman dismissed Behind the Mask as a "feeble entry in the Shadow mystery series". Critic Leonard Maltin gave the film a mixed review, describing it as a "decent low-budget whodunit" with "some nice visual touches but way too much 'comedy' relief."
- Mayer, Geoff (2012). Historical Dictionary of Crime Films. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 235. ISBN 978-0810867697.
- Erickson, Hal (2014). From Radio to the Big Screen: Hollywood films featuring broadcast personalities and programs. McFarland. pp. 108–109. ISBN 9781476615585.
- Okuda, Ted (1999). The Monogram checklist: the films of Monogram Pictures Corporation, 1931-1952. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. p. 213. ISBN 0786407506.
- Langman, Larry (1998). The Media in the Movies: A Catalog of American Journalism Films, 1900-1996. McFarland. p. 33. ISBN 147660925X.
- Leonard, Maltin, ed. (2015). Turner Classic Movies Presents Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide: From the Silent Era Through 1965. Penguin. ISBN 9780698197299.