|Type||Government Polytechnic Institute|
|Campus||Urban, 2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|Affiliations||Bangladesh Technical Education Board|
The institute is situated at Barguna near the 'Khakdon' river in Bangladesh. It is about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of the main town of Barguna.
Barguna Polytechnic Institute was established in 2006.
Student protests in June 2013 demanded the removal of Principal AZM Masudur Rahman over accusations of corruption and sexual harassment, allegations that he denied. The upazila nirbahi officer (UNO) formed a committee, led by the heads of the polytechnic's five departments, to investigate the charges. The Barguna-Mathbaria-Khulna road, on which the polytechnic is located, was blocked by protesters on multiple occasions. As the committee's investigation continued without result, the demonstrations became increasingly violent, culminating in a 19 June clash between police and about a thousand students in which 50 students and 5 police were injured, and 13 students were arrested. After that, students avoided campus, bringing classes to a halt. On 30 June, Mainul Ahsan was appointed acting principal, replacing Rahman, but the standoff between the administration and students continued for at least another 10 days.
- Computer Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Civil Technology
- Environment Technology
- Refrigeration and air conditioning Technology
Candidates have to take an admission test to be admitted. There are two shifts of classes, the first shift in the morning and the second shift later in the day.
- ‘স্বেচ্ছাচারী’ অধ্যক্ষ ['Arbitrary' principal]. Kaler Kantho (in Bengali). 27 January 2017.
- "At a Glance". Barguna Polytechnic Institute.
- "History". Barguna Polytechnic Institute.
- বরগুনা পলিটেকনিক ইনস্টিটিউট ছাত্রদের ১ ঘণ্টা সড়ক অবরোধ [Barguna Polytechnic Institute students block the road for 1 hour]. Banglanews24.com. 15 June 2013.
- সড়ক অবরোধ, সংঘর্ষে পুলিশসহ আহত ১২০ [Road blockade, 120 injured in police clash]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). 20 June 2013.
- বরগুনা পলিটেকনিক ইনস্টিটিউট: পুলিশ-শিক্ষার্থী সংঘর্ষে ওসিসহ আহত ২০ [Barguna Polytechnic Institute: Police and student wounded in the clash with 20]. The Daily Ittefaq (in Bengali). 19 June 2013.
- শিক্ষার্থীরা গ্রেপ্তার-আতঙ্কে শিক্ষা কার্যক্রমে অচলাবস্থা [Students are arrested and arrested in the educational program]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). 10 July 2013.