|Industry||Enterprise Performance Management, Software Company|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
Number of locations
|Revenue||US$592.2 million (2022)|
Number of employees
|2,200+ (Jan 2022)|
Anaplan is a business planning software company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Anaplan sells subscriptions for cloud-based business-planning software and provides data for decision-making purposes.
Anaplan's products are used by over 1,000 organizations globally.
The company has been listed as a leader in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud Financial Planning & Analysis Solutions in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
In 2006, Anaplan was founded by Guy Haddleton, Sue Haddleton, and Michael Gould in Yorkshire, England.
In 2012 Anaplan brought on Frederic Laluyaux as CEO. Laluyaux eventually left the company 4 years later in April 2016.
A year after Laluyaux became CEO, Anaplan acquired its reseller Vue Analytics in U.K. for an undisclosed amount.
In May 2014, Anaplan introduced its marketplace, Anaplan Hub. Using the marketplace, customers can share and find pre-designed planning models.
After multiple rounds of funding, to assist with going public, the company hired James Budge as its Chief Financial Officer. As of 2016, Anaplan had over 480 customers in 20 countries.
In January 2017 Anaplan appointed Frank A. Calderoni as CEO. Calderoni took the company public on October 12, 2018, with Anaplan being listed on the NYSE under the ticker symbol PLAN.
In August 2019, Anaplan announced plans to acquire Mintigo, an Israeli-founded predictive marketing and sales analytics company. In November, the company was named to Deloitte Technology Fast 500.
In March 2022, the private equity firm Thoma Bravo announced a definitive agreement to purchase Anaplan for $10.7 billion. The deal closed in June 2022. Thoma Bravo renegotiated the deal to $10.4 billion, stating that Anaplan had breached the merger agreement by overpaying new workers, although commentators linked the renegotiation to the broader market downturn.
Anaplan raised its first venture capital funding within a year of its first sales in 2010. In 2012, the company raised $11.4 million in Series B financing from investors that included Granite Ventures and Shasta Ventures.
Then, In 2014, the company’s Series D funding raised $100 million from new and existing investors including DFJ Growth, Workday, and Shasta Ventures. In 2016, Anaplan raised $90 million and became the second UK-founded company to achieve a $1 billion valuation.
Premji Invest led the fundraising, and was joined by Baillie Gifford, Founders Circle Capital, Harmony Partners, and Anaplan's then-current investors. As of January 2016, Anaplan had raised a total of $240 million in five funding rounds.
Anaplan's Hyperblock technology is a patented in-memory database and calculation engine for business planning.
In November 2014, Anaplan announced the launch of the Anaplan App Hub for business planning applications.
- ^ "Anaplan, Inc. Annual Report for fiscal year ending January 31, 2022 (Form 10-K)". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. 23 March 2022.
- ^ DeFrancesco, Robert. "Anaplan A Growing Threat As It Shakes Up Business Planning". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- ^ Chin, Maureen Farrell and Kimberly (12 October 2018). "Anaplan Shares Surge 43% in Debut, Shrugging Off Market Turmoil". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- ^ "Twelve Consulting scoops Anaplan's Partner Award for the Americas". www.consulting.us. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- ^ "Anaplan Recognized as a Leader in 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Sales Performance Management". SalesTech Star. 24 February 2020. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- ^ "FSN interviews Guy Haddleton, CEO Anaplan". fsn.co.uk. FSN Publishing Limited. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- ^ Basich, Zoran (12 September 2012). "The Daily Start-Up: Aerohive Buzzes With $22.5M Led by IVP Amid Sweet Mobile Connectivity Demand". Wall Street Journal.
- ^ "FSN ~ BI, BPM & CPM ~ FSN Interviews Frederic Laluyaux, CEO Anaplan". Archived from the original on 2013-11-06. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- ^ Nusca, Andrew. "Anaplan acquires reseller Vue Analytics; taps SAP Europe vet – ZDNet". ZDNet.
- ^ a b c "Anaplan Rakes in $100M In Series D Funding And Announces Anaplan Hub". TechCrunch. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 2020-08-28.
- ^ a b Miller, Ron (2016-01-14). "With $90 Million In New Funding And Unicorn Status, Anaplan Looks Ahead to IPO". techcrunch.com. TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- ^ Henschen, Doug. "Anaplan scales platform, prepares for prediction, addresses CEO departure". ZDNet. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- ^ "Anaplan hires CEO ahead of U.S. software firm's 2017 IPO". Reuters. 2017-01-10. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- ^ "Those who invested in Anaplan (NYSE:PLAN) three years ago are up 178%". NASDAQ.
- ^ Research, Forrester. "Anaplan doubles down on predictive with Mintigo acquisition". ZDNet. Retrieved 2020-09-25.
- ^ Releases, Business Wire News (2019-11-07). "Anaplan Ranked Among Fastest Growing Companies on Deloitte's 2019 Technology Fast 500™ | Financial Post". Retrieved 2020-03-27.
|first=has generic name (help)
- ^ "Anaplan acquired by Thoma Bravo in $10.7bn deal". www.channelweb.co.uk. 2022-03-21. Retrieved 2022-03-21.
- ^ "Thoma Bravo completes Anaplan acquisition". www.privateequitywire.co.uk. 2022-06-23. Retrieved 2022-06-23.
- ^ "Thoma Bravo seizes on pay issue to lower Anaplan buyout price". Financial Times. 2022-06-12. Retrieved 2022-06-18.
- ^ Hu, Krystal (2022-06-07). "Thoma Bravo's renegotiated deal has U.S. investors wondering who's next". Reuters. Retrieved 2022-06-18.
- ^ "Michael Gould, From Anaplan". Financial Times. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 2020-10-02.
- ^ "Anaplan Closes on $11.4M". pehub.com. PE Hub Network. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- ^ a b c "Anaplan becomes UK's latest tech unicorn". Financial Times. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 2020-10-08.
- ^ Bateman, Kayleigh (2 August 2013). "Taylor Wimpey builds cloud forecasting process with Anaplan". ComputerWeekly.com. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- ^ Snider, Emma. "What is Anaplan ? - Definition from WhatIs.com". techtarget.com. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- ^ "Fidenda | Anaplan for Connected Planning EPM". Fidenda. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- ^ "Anaplan App Hub Wants To Bring Open-Source Sharing Ethos to Financial Planners". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 March 2022.
- Historical business data for Anaplan:
- SEC filings
- Organizational performance management
- Business intelligence companies
- Business planning
- Financial services companies based in California
- Companies formerly listed on the New York Stock Exchange
- 2018 initial public offerings
- Software companies based in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Software companies established in 2006
- 2006 establishments in England
- 2022 mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity portfolio companies