This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)
|Amalie Auguste of Bavaria|
|Queen consort of Saxony|
|Tenure||9 August 1854 – 29 October 1873|
|Born||13 November 1801|
Munich, Electorate of Bavaria, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||8 November 1877 (aged 75)|
Dresden, Kingdom of Saxony, German Empire
Katholische Hofkirche, Dresden
(m. 1822; died 1873)
|Father||Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria|
|Mother||Caroline of Baden|
Amalie was the fourth child of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria and his second wife Caroline of Baden. She was the identical twin sister of Elisabeth Louise, later Queen of Prussia as wife of Frederick William IV of Prussia. Three other sisters married King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony, Archduke Franz Karl of Austria and Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria.
In 1851 Amalie Auguste became chairwoman of Women's Association of Dresden (Frauenverein zu Dresden), an organisation founded by her sister, the then queen. Three years later, her husband inherited the throne and she became queen. In 1859 she reorganized the association as the Zentralausschuß obererzgebirgischen und der vogtländischen Frauenvereine and established a legal basis for it, under which the organisation continued until 1932.
Marriage and issue
Amalie Auguste married on 21 November 1822 Prince John of Saxony, who reigned as King of Saxony between 1854 and 1873. John and Amelia had nine children, of whom six died at young ages and predeceased her:
- Marie Auguste Friederike (1827–1857), died of tuberculosis
- Albert (1828–1902). Married Princess Carola, daughter of Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden
- Maria Elisabeth (1830–1912). Married first Ferdinando, Prince of Savoy and Sardinia, and second Niccolò, Marchese Rapallo.
- Friedrich August Ernst (1831–1847), died in childhood
- George (1832–1904). Married Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal
- Maria Sidonia (1834–1862), died of fever
- Anna (1836–1859). Married Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany and died from childbirth.
- Margaretha (1840–1858). Married her cousin Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria, and died from typhoid fever.
- Sophie (1845–1867). Married her cousin Karl-Theodor, Duke in Bavaria (brother of Empress Elisabeth of Austria), died from influenza.
- Petermann, Karl: Der König Johann und die Königin Amalie von Sachsen, sowie die Feier ihres goldenen Ehejubiläums; in: Erzählungen. O.Author, o.J.