|Initial release||September 25, 2010|
1.22.0 / May 22, 2023
|Type||Source code editor|
|License||Since 1.0.0: BSD-3-Clause|
Until 0.2.0: Tri-license[a]
Known as Ace (Ajax.org Cloud9 Editor), it was previously known as Bespin then later Skywriter. Bespin and Ace started as two independent projects both aiming to build a no-compromise code editor component for the web. Bespin started as part of Mozilla Labs and was based on the
<canvas> html tag, while Ace is the Editor component of the Cloud9 IDE and is using the DOM for rendering. After the release of Ace at JSConf.eu 2010, in Berlin, the Skywriter team decided to merge Ace with a simplified version of Skywriter's plugin system and some of Skywriter's extensibility points. All these changes were merged back to Ace, which supersedes Skywriter. Both Ajax.org and Mozilla are actively developing and maintaining Ace.
- Syntax highlighting
- Auto indentation and outdent
- An optional command line
- Work with large documents (handles hundreds of thousands of lines without issue)
- Fully customizable key bindings including vi and Emacs modes
- Themes (TextMate themes can be imported)
- Search and replace with regular expressions
- Highlight matching parentheses
- Toggle between soft tabs and real tabs
- Displays hidden characters
- Highlight selected word
- Multiple cursor selection
- Column select and edit mode
Notable projects using Ace
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2023)
- "Release v1.22.0 · ajaxorg/ace". GitHub.
- "Change LICENSE to BSD". 2012-09-06.
- Dangoor, Kevin (2011-01-18). "Mozilla Skywriter has been merged into Ace". Mozilla Labs. Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- "Ace in GitHub". cloud9ide.posterous.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Edit like an Ace". github.com. 2011.
- "What's new in Halon 3.5". Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- leanote. "Leanote集成Ace代码编辑器, 我们的最爱". leanote.leanote.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.