Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo
|"Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo"|
|Single by Habib Wali Mohammad|
|Genre||Ghazal (Raag Yaman Kalyan)|
"Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo" (Urdu: آج جانے کی ضد نہ کرو transl. do not insist upon leaving today) is a geet written by Pakistani poet Fayyaz Hashmi. It was composed by Sohail Rana, an eminent Pakistani composer. It was popularized by noted classical vocalist, Habib Wali Mohammad, who also sang it as a film playback singer for the hit Pakistani film Badal Aur Bijli (1973). The song was also sung by famous ghazal singer Farida Khanum in 1993 for Pakistan Television and repeatedly in her live public concerts. It is sung in Raag Yaman Kalyan.
Later on, because of its melody and profoundly romantic and soul piercing lyrics, the song was re-sung by many artistes. Among them was the famous Indian singer Asha Bhosle (Asha Bhosle: Love Supreme, 2006). The song was used as background music in a scene in the Mira Nair's Golden Lion award-winning film, Monsoon Wedding (2001). Habib Wali Mohammad's original version is still very popular. It was part of The Shruti Box, an online music series by Shankar Tucker, where it was sung by Rohini Ravada. A.R. Rahman performed this number in MTV Unplugged Season 2.
The song was used in an episode of Crime Patrol broadcast on 9 February 2016 on Sony TV.
Mahesh Bhatt also recreated the song for TV show Naamkarann on tabla with Yash Vyas group, with the song being performed by Arijit Singh, which was telecast on Star Plus channel in August 2016.
The song was also recreated by Pritam, and featured in 2016 film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in the voice of Shilpa Rao.
A version of the song was also performed by singer Papon in Season 7 of MTV Unplugged.
Neha Kakkar, Bollywood singer and one of the judges of Indian Idol 2018, also performed this song on the 36th episode, on request of guest superstar, actor Jeetendra.
- ^ "When mood and melody merged". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2006-11-13. Archived from the original on 2013-12-03., Retrieved 31 October 2016
- ^ "Sohail Rana - Biography". sohailrana.com. Archived from the original on 24 November 2010.
- ^ "New Delhi News : Bollywood tales of stardom and the big bad world Cinema". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2008-01-13. Archived from the original on 2008-01-16. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- ^ "Ali Sethi goes live with Rekha Bhardwaj, Vishal Bhardwaj and Farida Khanum". The Express Tribune. 2020-03-26. Retrieved 2022-09-27.
- ^ Ramnarayan, Gowri (2010-11-16). "The romance of the verse". The Hindu. Chennai, India., Retrieved 31 October 2016
- ^ "Arijit Singh's soulful recreation of 'Aaj Jane Ki Zid Na Karo' will beat your Monday blues". DNA India. 5 September 2016. Retrieved 2022-09-27.
- ^ Mishra, Rashmi (3 December 2016). "This Pakistani student singing 'Aaj Padhane Ki Zidd Na Karo' to his teacher is breaking the internet! Watch video | India.com". www.india.com. Retrieved 2022-09-27.
- ^ "Soundtracks for Monsoon Wedding (2001)". IMDb. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- ^ "Unplugged 2 | A.R. Rahman - Aaj jaane ki zidd na karo (Full Song)". Archived from the original on 2012-11-07. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- ^ "Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (Deluxe Edition) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]". Apple Music. 11 November 2016. Archived from the original on 5 March 2021. Retrieved 27 September 2022.
- ^ Archived at Ghostarchive and the Wayback Machine: Aaj Jaane Ki Zidd Na Karo - Papon | MTV Unplugged. YouTube.