|Founded||April 1, 1995Sioux City, Iowa, United Statesin|
|Founder||Fran and Kevin McGarry|
Number of locations
|Sioux City, Iowa|
|Owner||Fran and Kevin McGarry|
Number of employees
The store was first established on April 1, 1995, by Fran and Kevin McGarry and is located on Pierce Street in Sioux City. Its selection of comic books and graphic novels come from 79 different publishers, ranging from major industry names such as Marvel Comics and DC Comics to small independent publishers. The store also carries a variety of other items, including collectible statues with Star Wars, Star Trek, Dragons, Fairies, and comic book themes; toys from MacFarlane Sports, MacFarlane Dragons, DC Direct, Marvel Select, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.; artwork and collectible plates; trading cards that range from football, baseball, and hockey to Yu-Gi-Oh!, World of Warcraft, and Magic: The Gathering; games such as Munchkin and Dungeons & Dragons; and a variety of fantasy and Renaissance themed T-shirts, statues, and other paraphernalia.
ACME Comics & Collectibles participates in Free Comic Book Day every year. The store has also hosted several autograph signings from notable people such as Star Wars actors Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca, and Daniel Logan, who played Boba Fett. ACME Comics has also hosted an autograph-signing with best-selling author Jesse Leon McCann, author of the Krypto the Superdog comic book.
In 2004, ACME Comics & Collectibles won the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award from Comic-Con International in San Diego, California, after being a runner-up for the Eisner Award in 2002 and 2003. The award was presented by Joe Ferrara, owner of the Atlantis Fantasyworld comic book store in Santa Cruz, California. Named for comic book creator Will Eisner, the "Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award" recognizes "an individual retailer who has done an outstanding job of supporting the comics art medium both in the community and within the industry at large". U.S. Senators Chuck Grassley and Tom Harkin, Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack, Sioux City Mayor Dave Ferris, the Siouxland Chamber of Commerce, and House Speaker of Sioux City Christopher Rants, an ACME Comics customer, all wrote letters of support.
- Horlyk, Earl (March 27, 2016). "Secret identity: Exploring the role of 'superheroes' in comic books". The Sioux City Journal. p. C7. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- Claeys, Jesse (June 20, 2008).Chewbacca actor signs autographs at comic book store. Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Miller, Bruce R. (June 11, 2010).'Star Wars' actor plans Sioux City stop. Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- (October 6, 2006).ACME Comics. Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Dreeszen, Dave (August 14, 2004).Sioux City store named nation's top comic retailer. Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Comic-con.org Recipients Archived September 29, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Comic-con.org Awards Archived 2007-09-11 at the Wayback Machine