2013 siege of the Pakistani embassy in Dhaka
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The siege on Pakistan Embassy in Dhaka took place when hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Pakistan High Commission building in Dhaka's Gulshan diplomatic enclave after they broke through barbed wire barricades.
The incident took place when Pakistan Parliament passed a resolution condemning the execution of Bangladeshi JI's secretary-general Abdul Qadir Molla who was hanged on 12 December 2013. Ultimately, Bangladesh summoned Pakistan's High Commissioner in Dhaka to lodge its protest over the resolution adopted by the National Assembly of Pakistan expressing concern over the execution of Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh leader Abdul Quader Molla.
Tension arose when many political activists called for "cutting off its diplomatic ties with Pakistan and issued ultimatum for laying the siege of the high commission building. At 3:00PM, the protestors moved marched towards the High Commission protesting against Pakistan and the marchers congregated there chanting anti-Pakistan slogans. A shoe was thrown by a protester who along with 50-60 protesters rushed to the embassy gate, chanting slogan "Joy Bangla" (Victory to Bengal). At the Chittagong University, the protesters set fire to Pakistan's flag; similar incidents took place in all over the country.
Meanwhile, Pakistan condemned the storming of Pakistan's High Commission in Dhaka and the incidents of burning the flag of Pakistan by Bangladeshi protesters. The Foreign Office released the official statement, quoting that "Bangladesh is Pakistan's neighbouring Islamic country and Pakistan wants to strengthen ties with it." Following the incidence, the security was tightened in and around the High Commission of Pakistan in Dhaka.
- ^ a b "Thousands storm Pak High Commission in Dhaka". The News International, 2013. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "Bangladesh summons Pakistan High commissioner over NA resolution". Express Tribune, 2013. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "Ultimatum to sever ties with Pakistan". bdnews24.com. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "Dhaka protesters call for expulsion of Pak envoy over Molla resolution". Daily Times. Pakistan. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "Situation Bangladesh". Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- ^ "Security beefed up at Pak HC in Dhaka". The Financial Express. Dhaka. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Mollah execution row: Pakistan stresses Bangladesh to avoid conflict". The Nation. Karachi. 18 December 2013.
- "Bangladeshi protesters burn Pakistan flag, Imran Khan's effigies". MSN Arabia. Archived from the original on 2013-12-19.