The 1973 Women's College World Series was contested among 16 teams on May 17-20 in Omaha, Nebraska. It was the first series held under the auspices of the AIAW, which had recently been established by the Division of Girls' and Women's Sports (DGWS) for the purpose of conducting national championships.
The double-elimination tournament included these teams:
- Arizona State
- Ball State (Indiana)
- Iowa State
- Illinois State
- Michigan State
- North Dakota State
- Northern Colorado
- Northern Iowa
- South Carolina
- South Dakota State
- Southwest Missouri State
- Wayne State College (Nebraska)
- Weber State College (Utah)
- Western Illinois
Arizona State won its second consecutive WCWS championship, splitting the final two games with Illinois State, including the marathon final game that went 16 innings. Margie Wright pitched all 16 innings in that game for the Redbirds as they narrowly fell to Arizona State, 4-3. On the day of that final, Wright hurled 30 innings in three games. Ironically, for pitching too many innings in one day, a three-woman Illinois sports commission suspended her from pitching in any game in her upcoming senior season and also banned the softball team from post-season play in 1974.: 23–24
|Upper round 1||Upper round 2||Upper round 3||Upper final||Final|
|North Dakota State||L|
|South Dakota State||1|
|Southwest Missouri State||1|
|Michigan State||2||Arizona State||0||4[c]|
|Southwest Missouri State||7||Illinois State||4||3|
|Lower round 1||Lower round 2||Lower round 3||Lower round 4||Lower round 5||Lower final|
|Ball State||3||Weber State||L|
|Northern Iowa||L||Southwest Missouri State||1|
|South Dakota State||1|
|Northern Colorado||1||Illinois State||5|
|South Dakota State||7||Northern Colorado||5|
|Southwest Missouri State||5|
|Nebraska–Omaha||1||Southwest Missouri State[b]||3|
|Western Illinois||5||Wayne State||4|
|North Dakota State||0|
- 9 innings
- 10 innings
- 16 innings
|3rd||Southwest Missouri State||4-2|
|9th||South Dakota State||1-2|
|Weber State College||1-2|
|Wayne State College||1-2|
|North Dakota State||0-2|
- Plummer, William; Floyd, Larry C. (2013). A Series Of Their Own: History Of The Women's College World Series. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States: Turnkey Communications Inc. ISBN 978-0-9893007-0-4.
- "CWS for Women Starts Thursday". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 13, 1973. p. 5-C. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Women's Series Completes Field". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 14, 1973. p. 25. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Women's Softball Series Attracts 16 Teams to Dill". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 17, 1973. p. 33. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Gals Group for Tourney". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 18, 1973. p. 31. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "UNO's Gals Win Twice; Wayne Falls". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 19, 1973. p. 20. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Arizona State Gains Finals of Gals' CWS". Omaha World-Herald. Omaha, Nebraska. May 20, 1973. p. 5-C. Retrieved 2017-03-31.