|Introduced||31 July 2014|
|TLD type||top-level domain|
|Status||Available and active as of September 2014|
|Intended use||Wales and Welsh language|
|Actual use||Used in Wales, often when the primary or content language is Welsh; e.g. https://www.s4c.cymru|
|Registry website||Nominet: Cymru - Wales and Our Home Online (Domain for Wales)|
Proposal and use
The TLD was proposed by the British internet registry company Nominet, which has run the domain for the UK (.uk) since 1996. The proposal initially ran into conflict with .cym, proposed by the Wales-based, not-for-profit dotCYM organisation, which advocates for the Welsh language and culture. (.cym was ultimately assigned to the Cayman Islands.)
In June 2014, final go-ahead for the domains was granted by ICANN, and a phased launch of the new domains began. Initially, the new domains were available to trademark holders, with full availability originally planned for the spring of 2015.
On 30 September 2014, the Llywydd of the Senedd officially moved Senedd websites and other sites to new ".cymru" and ".wales" domains which are geographic top-level domains specific to Wales. Wales Online, Daily Post, the Welsh Rugby Union, the Millennium Stadium, Golwg360, Bloc, Gwalia, Atlantic PLC, Orchard and Portmeirion were among others who also switched over to the domains. These became available to all on St David's Day 2015.
Wikipedia articles on some other top-level domains based on language and culture:
- "Welsh government switches its internet address to .cymru and .wales". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "About us". ourhomeonline.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- "dotCYM- Campaigning for a Welsh cultural and linguistic domain". dotcym.org. Archived from the original on 2006-06-19. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Cymru and the Haka" Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, Siôn Jobbins, Click on Wales, 27 October 2011.
- "Wales loses to Cayman Islands in battle for .cym domain". BBC. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "How .cymru and .wales will work - rules and processes published today". nominet.org.uk.
- "Get Your Domain". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "First .cymru and .wales websites go live in digital milestone for Wales". Nominet. 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2022-02-03.
- "New domain names set to 'sell' Wales to the world". BBC News. 2014-06-23. Retrieved 2022-02-03.
- Nominet: Cymru - Wales (in English)
- Our Home Online (Domain for Wales) (en English and Welsh)
- The European Cultural and Linguistic Domains Network Archived 2016-12-25 at the Wayback Machine.